Thursday, July 30, 2009

Half of what I say is meaningless, but I say it just to reach you...

To be forward, today was a pretty crappy day for me. I hate how the way I sing directly correlates with my mood. Yesterday after Tom Enman's masterclass I felt great! He helped me like whoa and I just felt so great about my singing. Today I woke up feeling not so good, than went to German, practiced for an hour and felt really great, than went to my lesson and felt like shit. My teacher just gets really excited and when she does that she throws rep at me like crazy. Today we sang through 5 arias, I think? So A) I have no idea what to really work on for next week and B) there's this particular technique thing I need help on that I've been trying to master for about 3 years now that I didn't grasp today and than got really frustrated and just had a mental block for the rest of the lesson. I couldn't get over the fact that I still can't freaking do it and than stayed frustrated for the rest of the lesson.

ANYWAY

After grabbing a tiramusu ice cream in between opera scenes rehearsal I felt a little better. (Yes, food also directly effects my mood). Than I went to a great master class with Michael Schade (a part of the Festspiel). I got to see Michael Schade in the opera Thais with my parents in December so it was pretty great. The singers were all my age or slightly older (25 or so) and fabulous. In one way it made me think, "What the hell am I doing? Why am I not that advanced?" but in another way it just made me want to work harder. It was a great experience nonetheless. I also enjoyed that he didn't consistently talk in German. Yay for him being Canadian and slipping into English randomly!

After the masterclass I attended the mid term recital for the program. I didn't have to sing, but instead have to sing on a recital Tuesday...on my birthday. Weird? Cool? Awesome? I guess? Odd numbers really bother me so I'm not looking forward so much to this birthday. No really, I don't want to be an odd numbered age that isn't 21. So maybe I'll keep telling people I'm 22?? Decisions, decisions.

After the midterm recital Pam, Brett, Bryan, Lindsey and I wandered around for 30 minutes or so trying to find the Weiss Biergarten. With Brett's great German skills and his asking numerous people we finally found it and were quite happy. It was very regal and triumphant if you ask me. It was such a fabulous place! Lots of fun was had and traditional food was eaten (Bratwurst, potatoes and saurkraut).

Basically my crappy day turned into a pretty great one.

Prize for anyone who can guess what album the song lyrics from this post and my last post are from!

3 comments:

  1. Ahem, I said ALBUM name. Try again! :) You have 3 clues :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The album title is "The Beatles" though it is colloquially called 'The White Album'.

    Tiramisu ice cream? Oh dear lord that sounds good.

    ReplyDelete